About me:

My photo
Venice, CA, United States
¡Tequila!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The World's First Hibiscus-Infused Tequila



I had a chance to taste Gran Centenario's Rosangel Tequila--the world's only hibiscus-infused tequila--last night at Vivo

And I have to admit--I liked it. 

I'm surprised that the world has waited so long to use hibiscus in a tequila, because its been in margaritas for a while (normally by way of the dried flowers, or jamaica); however, I'm glad it was Gran Centenario. Their tequila is complex enough to hold up to the sweetness.

To make Rosangel, Gran Centenario lets their reposado tequila rest for an extra two months in barrels used for port. They then infuse the resulting sweet mellow tequila with what they call "hand-picked" hibiscus flowers--which gives the tequila its pink tint.

For anyone who has tried Gran Centenario before, you'll be happy to note that Rosangel retains Centenario's signature I-just-bit-into-an-old-boot-strap notes of oak and char, while intermingling with them a sweetness and hint of bitter reminiscent of a nice glass of port.

Honestly, I tasted the port before the hibiscus, but the flavor is there. I can definitely see a bright future for this spirit, and I'm delighted to see what kinds of recipes emerge--and I know they will soon.

For now, Vivo Cocina Texicana--at 2015 Manor Rd.--is the only restaurant that carries Rosangel in Austin, and the bartenders are pumping out ideas for original drink recipes that reflect the tone and style of the joint--so you know they'll be sexy.

Take a trip to Vivo's bar and ask your bartendress for a taste--I'm sure she'll oblige.

Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog! I just added your link to my blog - http://teamchrisandchrissy.blogspot.com

    Mmm, can't wait to try some of your recommended tequilas. I love tequila - even if it makes my clothes fall off. :)

    ReplyDelete