About me:

My photo
Venice, CA, United States
¡Tequila!

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt


I am totally in love.

When it's cold outside, my friend Amaryllis often sits by the fire on the patio at Moonshine Bar and Grill when she's finished with work. Later, when she comes to my restaurant to pick up her boyfriend, I give her a big hug and refuse to let go because--as I tell her every time--"You smell like camping!"

Like the smoke is blowing in your face, the only sound the cracking of embers and the spewing forth of sparks, your marshmallow on an unwrapped metal hanger bubbling and browning. 

I am enamored with that smell and the nostalgia that comes along with it. 

And that is what this Alderwood Smoked Sea Salt smells like. Just having it in the restaurant made the room smell like campfire. 

We made several cocktails last night using this salt on the rim--and oh--my--God. It's an overwhelming taste, smell, experience, whatever you want to call it. We're still tweaking recipes, but here is one that seemed to be a crowd pleaser: (You might go light on the sweet stuff and then adjust to your taste.)

La Fogata:

1 oz Del Maguey Single Village mezcal
1 oz Rosangel Tequila (or regular Centenario reposado--but I like it with the Rosangel)
.25 oz (or less) liquor 43
dash orange bitters
lime juice and simple syrup
*the tiniest--and I mean tiny!--splash of pineapple juice

Shake very well, serve on ice with smoked salt rim
Works best in a glass you can get your nose inside
This drink went perfectly with the dismal weather we've been having the past few days.

¡Salud!

ps: Apologies for the low-quality photograph--my digital camera is M.I.A. I'll update it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment